Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Bobbi the Weather Girl

I suspect that there are very few people who know about Bobbi the Weather Girl and her reports on the Armed Forces Network in Vietnam.

Armed Forces Vietnam (AFVN) had a television station that broadcast, if I remember correctly, from noon until midnight. The programming from the night before was broadcast again beginning at noon the next day. I don’t remember many of the programs that we saw but do remember that The Big Valley was a hit with the Vietnamese who worked at Cu Chi. Glen Campbell’s Good Time Hour (I think that was the name) was another of the shows as was Dean Martin’s. Each late night there was a broadcast of a talk show such as that of Johnny Carson. And for some unknown reason, they also broadcast a show called Julia (if I remember correctly), about a widow whose husband, a helicopter pilot, had been killed in Vietnam. I confess that I do not understand the wisdom of showing that to us… I was especially outraged because of the show’s plot.

Bobbi the Weather Girl
Sometime, about five in the afternoon, there was a news show put together in Saigon, run by GIs and anchored by GIs. Naturally, there was a weather segment and it was Bobbi who ended up doing that segment. She worked for the US government in Saigon and this was just a sort of extra duty which most of us appreciated. She gave the temperature and weather around Vietnam, did the same for the US and then the R and R Centers. The one thing that I do remember is that she got doused by water frequently.

You can watch one of the segments that I suspect might have been filmed by a GI with an old 8 mm movie camera that had sound here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ8NtlxKiQk

And, you can see a documentary, or an interview with her, made in 1992 at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C. that contains more of her doing the weather here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzmv-dMc2vE

In fact, just type Bobbi the Weather Girl into your search engine and you’ll find many stories about her. Like so many others, it was the highlight of most days. And no, I never met her, but she certainly made a good impression on me and many of my fellow soldiers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hot PZ

  We often knew if an LZ or PZ was going to be hot before we arrived. Many times, we were reinforcing a unit engaged in combat operations, o...